We received this old Bible in bad shape, as you can see from the picture above, but we went to work saving it, and it will live to see several more centuries to come!
We removed the old tattered cover and removed a lot of dirt, old rubber cement, and insect cocoons. There had been previous restoration—the kind that actually causes damage—hence the rubber cement. There was also rediculous oversewing, so we took that out too.
While cleaning up the spine we found fun very old parchment manuscript waste that was used to line a few signatures.
The spine needed serious reshaping, so after rounding and backing, we left the book securely wrapped in the backing press with extra wrapping to ensure the spine would dry back in its proper shape.
We embroidered new end-bands using linen thread, then cosmetically aged the endbands to look as if they’ve been on the book for a couple hundred years.
We finished the project with a full leather binding, complete with a Renaissance tooling design.